Academic writing may be intimidating and demanding for many people, and articles and projects can take hours or days to produce and require significant effort to finish. There are, however, technologies available that may make the procedure considerably easier for those who need it the most.
If you’re having trouble with long-form writing tasks, these resources will help you work smarter rather than harder.
The writing process for this article is divided into three stages:
- Writing and editing a draft.
- Rewording/ Paraphrasing
- Organizing the manuscript
What is academic writing?
Academic writing is writing that is done for academic purposes, such as writing for school or work. It can be anything from a research paper to a thesis. Academic writing can be challenging and requires a level of precision and accuracy that is not always required in other types of writing. Additionally, academic writing is often formatted in a way that is specific to the academic institution that you are writing for.
Always bear in mind the purpose of your writing when you are drafting it, and make sure to adhere to the standard format and style guidelines of your specific institution. You also need to be aware of the conventions of your field and be sure to use the correct terms and citations when referencing sources.
- 10 Best Writing Apps for Android users
- Best Free Android Apps To Find Your Friends via GPS
- Best Windows 10 Apps: It Makes Your Life much Better
Finally, make sure to proofread your work multiple times to ensure that it is error-free and meets the standards of your academic institution.
What are academic writing tools?
Academic writing tools can be incredibly helpful for students who are writing for school or for a job. There are a variety of different programs and tools that can be used to strengthen your writing skills, and most of them are free. Some of the most popular include Grammarly, Papers, and Write Start.
Grammarly is a program that helps you improve your grammar, spelling, and vocabulary. The paper helps you to organize your thoughts, and WriteStart provides tips and exercises for expanding your writing skills.
All of these programs offer a free trial so that you can try them before you buy them. Once you have tried them out, you may decide that you want to purchase the full version.
What is the best tool for content writing in 2022?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best tool for content writing in 2022 depends on the individual’s needs and preferences. However, some of the more popular content writing tools include Scalenut’s SEO Assistant, SEOmoz’s MozBar, Ahrefs’s Site Explorer, and SEMrush’s SEO Toolbar.
Each of these tools offers different features and capabilities, so it is important to choose the one that is most appropriate for your needs.
- Scalenut’s SEO Assistant uses AI to produce extensive content reports based on a primary keyword and target audience’s location which then helps in writing long-form content.
- MozBar provides information on keyword density, competition, and SERP features, while Site Explorer provides detailed information on your website’s architecture, links, and social media presence.
The Best Writing Software for Researchers
1. Jasper (formerly Jarvis) – Game-Changing AI Writing Bot
Jasper is an excellent choice for new development projects and has a proven track record of success. It is versatile, efficient, and easy to use, making it a great option for web and mobile applications. Jasper also has a robust reporting system that makes it easy to track progress and optimize your codebase.
You can do everything from generating a complete log of your development progress to viewing different environmental data in real-time. Its security systems are extremely robust, and admins can lock down specific environments so that only authorized users can access them.
Jasper comes with several projects already included out of the box, such as HTML5 templates, Favicon Normalization Tool (FN), Less API parser, and more! You also get built-in helpers for mapping and array JS. Along with all of these, you also get some plugins that allow you to take advantage of the latest web tooling and coding standards.
This program is still in its early stages of development. And I’ve made a habit of using it frequently. I can see how this technology would be highly beneficial to academics and researchers that work with knowledge. To master the tool, there is a slight learning curve, and it’s, nevertheless, well worth the effort.
But, this tool is fantastic if you know when and how to use it (like with other tools.). And, no, this AI isn’t going to take your position just yet. As a researcher, your job is to direct the AI. Please verify that the fundamental thesis and reasons are obvious and that you’re guiding it through the process.
We just arranged for our readers to receive 10,000 words free of charge.
Note: As more people get interested in this technology, we will dig deeper into it.
- The fundamental editing capabilities, such as grammar, rewriting, and explain-it-to-5th-grade, are included in the writing document.
- It is an excellent tool for expressing yourself in a cover letter or an email to editors (e.g., employing the tone of voice feature).
- There are 60 templates available to assist you with the less time-consuming research tasks.
- The “Quora Answers” template might help you advertise your work on social media.
- With the “Poll Questions & Multiple Choice Answers” template, you can make polls and surveys easier.
- The “News Release Title” Template will assist you in writing a compelling introductory paragraph for a press release.
- Pay-as-you-go is a convenient option. To begin with, Jarvis provides you with some free credits (5,000 in my instance). So give Jarvis a try and pay for what you use.
- This application is not yet ready to stand alone. As I previously stated, you will need to direct it through the process, which means you will need to be more active than with other tools.
- It takes some getting used to, just as using a typewriter, when most people still use a pen and paper. (Most individuals eventually type with a keyword.) And I believe it will only be a matter of time until most people understand that AI can help them achieve more and better things.
- Unused credits cannot be carried over to the following month. I wish it worked more like the Audible approach, where you can save your credit and use it later.
- When the word count reaches that, the paraphrase feature only works for a short paragraph (30 words) and frequently misses many things.
Update: Jasper is offering our readers a one-time 10,000-word freebie for five days. Before it expires, have a look at it.
2. DraftIn – Minimalistic and free for laser-focus writing
DraftIn is another AI writing tool. DraftIn can work with you to create a thesis statement, outline your essay or article, and provide examples. The best thing about this tool is that it’s so minimalistic.
You don’t have to spend any time learning how to create a thesis statement, outline your article, or even take the sample templates laid out for you. It’s a great tool that helps you learn and get things done faster than ever before, – all without having to put much effort into it! DraftIn has an extremely intuitive interface as well, which allows users of all experience levels to be able to compare ideas effortlessly.
I would definitely recommend giving this a try if
- You want a fast and simple way of outlining, and
- You’re a student who doesn’t want to spend too much time on your essay.
- Furthermore, you just don’t like learning new things.
Drafting might be the academic writing tool that Steve Jobs created, and the tool is intended for folks who prefer to concentrate just on words. It lives up to Hemmingway’s dictum, “Writer drunk.” “Revise Sober.”
I use Google Docs frequently to collaborate with others. However, there are occasions when version control is a problem. This utility resolves the issue by storing the most recent version that the user has updated in the user’s environment. As a result, before accepting it, you should evaluate it first.
It differs from Google Docs, which displays the latest version and allows you to determine what has changed. And then, one by one, revert it.
The disadvantage of being simple is that it cannot include links in the text.
- One of the better free writing tools available online.
- Hemingway Mode supports “write first, edit later” with a minimalist style.
- When it comes to keeping track of revisions and updates, version control is helpful.
- When you have co-authors working on the same papers, this is fantastic.
- Assist you in concentrating on the quality of your notes and writing.
- You can’t put links in the document’s text.
- Compared to other tools, it has limited features (by design).
3. LaTeX – Great tool but difficult for non-coder
LaTeX is a popular academic writing tool that is both free and dependable. We’ve even produced a LaTex lesson to aid you with the rudimentary programming skills you’ll need to utilize it.
If you haven’t begun writing your research paper yet, have some spare time, and want to understand one of the essential writing tools, use LaTex.
Here’s where you can acquire the LaTeX software, and don’t forget to read our instructions on how to use it.
- LaTeX is a free program, which is beneficial to students on a limited budget.
- You and your librarian will save time by being able to generate your bibliography with Latex’s site feature.
- It creates a technical barrier between researchers familiar with LaTex and those who aren’t.
- Learning how to use Latex takes sometime, and it might take a few hours or even months for a novice writer.
- Some word processors, such as Microsoft Word, are incompatible with LaTex.
4. Hemingway Editor – free and powerful
My favorite writing program is Hemingway Editor, which I suggest as one of the most valuable tools.
Hemingway Editor is a simple online application that identifies and corrects errors in your writing. It’s based on the notion that dense, complicated phrases are difficult to comprehend. These lengthy, twisting lines are broken into pieces with pauses in between by the computer.
It makes it simple to observe where it might remove superfluous words or phrases. You may also use the free Hemingway Editor mobile app for iOS devices!
- It helps you identify difficulties in your work, such as passive voice and confusing sentence construction.
- It’s a free tool that also double-checks your grammar.
- You may download software and access it without using the internet.
- It assists in the search for alternatives to challenging phrases.
- It can have a significant impact on the clarity of your writing.
- It improves reading comprehension and comprehension.
- On iOS devices, it is accessible as a free mobile app.
- It’s fantastic for writing essays.
- Sometimes the reader’s attention is required when the options are presented.
- It is not possible to export to MS Word or PDF files.
- This fantastic utility does not have a browser plugin.
- It’s not the best tool for double-checking lengthy research or reports.
- To set it, you must first determine the appropriate reading level.
Best Re-Writing or Paraphrasing Software
1. QuillBot – Best paid option for the professional
Quillbot is cutting-edge paraphrasing software that can rephrase a section of text or an entire article. When you’ve finished typing a sentence or a paragraph of text, press the “paraphrase” button, and Quillbot will rewrite it while keeping the original meaning.
One of the tool’s main advantages is that it uses machine learning to understand, rephrase, reorganize, and enhance the paraphrases it generates. It’s no surprise that Quillbot is one of the top choices for people, educational institutions, and organizations.
Quillbot has a built-in thesaurus feature to assist you in locating the appropriate term and altering specific words, paraphrasing, and reducing writing time.
There are writing styles to assist you in improving clarity and meaning and a Word Flipper to help you adapt your work quickly.
The free version allows you to paraphrase up to 700 characters, while premium membership will enable you to paraphrase up to 10,000 characters. The premium subscription additionally paraphrases text quickly, offers more writing modes, and compares the outcomes of a single line in several ways.
- The original meaning is preserved in a high-quality outcome.
- There’s a slider to alter the degree of synonyms and style, tone, and grammatical tools to assist you in improving clarity and meaning.
- The best interface gives you the outcome and shows you the words that have been spun.
- It works with your existing writing tools, such as Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and Google Chrome.
- It has a co-writing feature that can compete with Jarvis as a writing tool.
- It has a citation generator that will come in handy while writing an academic paper.
- It has a grammar checker that competes with Grammarly and includes a one-click fix-it feature.
- Only 125 words (paraphraser) and 1,200 words (summarizer) are allowed in the free version.
- Many individuals may be put off by the monthly fee of $15 (until they’ve seen the power of combining an AI writing tool, an editing tool like Grammarly, and a vital tool like WordTune).
- Premium starts at $15 per month and goes up to $9.99 per month (billed every six months).
2. WordTune – The most convenient option
By analyzing large quantities of text and identifying human language patterns, WordTune may produce rewrite recommendations. As a result, it may update the meaning from time to time to express a more popular notion or to incorporate the information it feels is indicated.
Wordtune is learning to maintain the sense of your input text as much as possible during the rewrite recommendations. However, because the tool is developed with some creative flexibility, it may occasionally produce ideas that appear to be out of context. It may misread your words and make erroneous or irrelevant suggestions in some circumstances.
- The best onboarding procedure for getting a feel for the tool: There’s a “hovering W” icon that follows you around.
- It works as a Google Extension that I use regularly.
- With the noted adjustments, the free version demonstrates remarkable rewording outcomes.
- Most rewording possibilities I’ve seen from a tool (as opposed to others that don’t)
- Students and educators with a valid academic email address and working for a non-profit or NGO receive a 40% discount.
- An informal or professional shift in tone necessitates an update.
- An update is required to use the shot and expand functions.
- Working on a mobile or tablet device is not possible.
- The standard monthly fee of $10 may be prohibitively expensive for infrequent contributors.
We evaluated Wordtune and found the Quillbot to be a more powerful tool with all the following features: Wordtune may alter in the future due to user input like ours.
3. Spinbot–Best free option for starters
Spinbot is an accessible summary tool that instantly turns the content you paste or type into an editorial manager. The Spinbot framework automatically changes the text when you submit a request.
Because Spinbot does not capitalize words, it protects uppercase nouns such as titles, professional people, places, and objects while simultaneously keeping the primary phrase of each sentence. By ticking the Spin Capitalized Words box, you may change this option.
- Compared to QuillBot’s 125 words, the free version works up to 10,000 words, which is impressive.
- Although the UI is clean, pristine, and easy to use, it does incorporate offers. However, after you’ve gotten beyond the ads, the procedure for summarizing is straightforward.
- Ads occasionally disrupt the user experience, and the outcomes are not as visible as the QuillBot, which displays what has changed.
- The output can be rather terrible (illogical), and you can’t change the amount of rewording as you can with QuillBot.
Best Writing Organization Tools
1. Scrivener – Best for Academic Researchers
Scrivener is great for academics who need to manage a large volume of data. Writing for academic purposes is more challenging than writing for graduate school. You will just have to pay a small amount of money for this software. Many well-known scholars, on the other hand, use it in their research papers.
It also offers a smartphone app, which is convenient. If you want to roam around and study ideas or compose on your phone, Scrivener can sync with your device so that everything is in one place.
Scrivener is a simple-to-use tool that helps you organize your work. You can create chapters with subpages for all of your research. You can also include relevant photographs or text boxes. It’s an excellent approach to organize your information and thoughts, so you can write a more effective academic research paper.
Scrivener also comes with a free 30-day trial. As a result, if you use it three times per week, you may be eligible for a 10-week trial. You might be able to get a discount here.
- Ease of use – It allows you to alter and organise your content and research paper afterwards without having to worry about the order.
- There are several guidelines available to help you through the research and writing process.
- You can try the free trial to write your content without any doubt.
- It transforms the collection of articles and documents in to a
- It can help you turn a collection of articles and materials into a dissertation and a highly promising content.
- The document interface can be a little confusing for first-time users.
2. Authorea – Best for Alternative Publication and Exposure
Authorea is a fantastic resource for writers looking for a low-cost alternative to the typical academic publication process. You can use it to write and publish your research paper or thesis, but it also provides you with a lot of exposure.
Authorea is a one-stop-shop for
- disseminating, and
- publishing your research article in reputable journals.
Authorea is a terrific resource for young academics who want to publish their work.
Authorea has a large library of free content production templates, with over 1,000 to choose from. You also receive a built-in plagiarism checker, however publishing your article requires purchasing the premium version.
Authorea is also compatible with Scrivener. That’s true, if you need to upload a research paper or just an article, you won’t have to leave your writing tool.
Authorea allows you to post your work on their website for free, which is one of the best benefits. They can also assign you a DOI, making it easier for others to cite your original research article.
- A one-stop shop for research creation, dissemination, and publication in prestigious journals.
- This is an excellent tool for young researchers who want to do academic work and publish their research paper without having to worry about document management or other administrative tasks.
- Scrivener and Authorea are both compatible.
- It may be difficult to publish in reputable journals.
3. Reedsy – Best for Aspiring Best-Selling Authors
Reedsy is an online publishing platform that connects authors and publishers with experts who can assist them in the creation of attractive books. They provide sophisticated tools and free educational information to help people become better researchers and achieve academic achievement.
The Book Editor from Reedsy is a sophisticated digital tool for generating and editing eBooks, print books, journals, and articles. Unlimited revision history with email comments, automatic backups, dynamic word count, advanced character filtering, track changes, export to.docx or.txt files, and more are all included.
Reedsy’s eBook Editor has all the functionality of a professional word processor, so you can write your eBook with the same high-powered tools that best-selling writers use.
- Reedsy offers a number of professional services to help you create a beautiful book.
- They offer a multitude of free educational resources to help you improve your research and writing skills.
- The Reedsy Book Editor is a robust yet user-friendly manuscript drafting and editing tool.
- Reedsy is a bit costly when compared to other publishing houses.
- This is a more advanced tool for folks who have achieved some level of success or have a large amount of money.
How do I take my writing skills to the next level?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best way to take your writing skills to the next level depends on your individual strengths and weaknesses. However, some tips that may help you include:
- Write regularly: Even if you don’t have time to edit your work, writing regularly will help you identify and improve on your weaknesses and strengths.
- Be critical of your work: If you can be critical of your work, you will be able to see where your content falls short and make appropriate changes.
- Be open to feedback: If you are willing to accept feedback, it will help you to strengthen your writing skills and increase your chances of success.
- Use a blog or website as a testing ground for your work.
- Use social media for feedback: If you are willing to share your work with others, this will help you identify areas where there may be room for improvement.
- Speak up when necessary: Avoid allowing bad grades to discourage you from starting a new piece of writing, because if it goes incomplete or never moves beyond the drafting stage, where it is still faulty but pleasurable, it will be of little value and will provide you with little personal improvement.
Frequently Answered Questions (FAQs)
Why should I use LaTeX?
One significant but less evident advantage of LaTeX is that it allows you to quickly isolate the content of your academic papers from the format. It frees you up as a writer (scientist, researcher, or not) to focus on “what” rather than “how” it will appear on paper (that is the job of LaTeX document class designers). The learning curve is pretty steep, which is a significant warning. So, don’t forget to take a look at our instructional.
What are the best tips for academic writing?
1. Make sure to spell-check and proofread your work.
2. It’s not enough to cite your sources.
3. Use words apart from the ones you found in your study.
4. You must precisely summarize and synthesize their concepts.
5. Write clearly.
6. It will avoid cliches.
7. Change the structure of your sentences.
8. As for PUNCTUATION, mix it up.
9. Be CONCISE in your approach.
10. Use the vocabulary you already know, but also focus on increasing it.
11. Keep an open mind and learn to use the tool you require, not what others suggest.
What are the tools for effective writing?
The most crucial instrument in a researcher’s arsenal is her mind. Clear thinking, orderly presentation, and continuous focus are required for good academic writing. To be a successful researcher, you must have a clear set of goals for spending your time in the library or office, know what issues you will focus on, and which ideas are worth pursuing further. Brainstorming is a common element of creating a rhetorical paper, but it is also about determining one’s attitude toward the issue at hand in the early stages. I’m not sure who I’m writing this article for. To whom am I at odds? What are they claiming about my issue that I need to disprove? All of these impacts were to investigate next or which hypothesis to explore. One of the most challenging tasks for scholars is to “see” how much they know.
It is not necessary for the best academic writing tools to be expensive or difficult to use.
We asked you to tell us what you wish someone had told you about writing academic papers when you started. We’d also like to hear about what you think works and what doesn’t.