With smartphone cameras improving drastically over the past few years, more people are using their phones as their primary cameras. But getting that perfect shot requires the help of a good photo editor app. The right photo editor can transform ordinary pictures into professional-looking photographs. This article discusses the ten best photo editor apps available in 2023 for Android and iOS devices.
1. Adobe Lightroom
Adobe Lightroom is a powerful photo editor app that provides professional-level editing tools. Lightroom makes importing, organizing, and editing extensive photo collections simple. The intuitive slider-based adjustments allow you to fine-tune images easily. It is the gold standard for professional photography workflow on mobile devices.
Features of Adobe Lightroom
Here are some of its key features:
- Import and organize photos into albums easily.
- Make basic adjustments like exposure, contrast, white balance, etc.
- Apply presets for quick editing.
- Adjust color selectively for more control over edits.
- Add watermarks to your photos.
- Edit RAW DSLR photos.
- Sync edits across devices, like desktops, using cloud storage.
Snapseed from Google is a feature-rich photo editor packed into a user-friendly interface. Snapseed makes it easy to apply advanced photographic techniques through intuitive gestures and an efficient UI. The lens blur tool is awe-inspiring, allowing you to isolate subjects elegantly. Overall, Snapseed is one of the most versatile mobile photo editors.
Features of Snapseed
Some of its capabilities include:
- Tools like Heal, Brush, and Perspective for local adjustments.
- A variety of photo filters like Vintage, Drama, and Grunge.
- Basic editing tools like cropping, rotation, and curves.
- Ability to stack edits for non-destructive editing.
- Popular lens blur effect to create DSLR-like shallow depth of field.
- Presets inspired by classic styles and genres.
PicsArt is packed with photo editing features and a creative community. PicsArt provides tools not just for standard edits but also for adding creative flair. The drawing tools allow you to customize photos uniquely. And the active community enables inspiration and collaboration. PicsArt is excellent for casual photographers looking to enhance images with stylish effects quickly.
Features of PicsArt
Here are some of its key aspects:
- 1000s of stylish stickers, filters, frames, and text effects.
- Drawing tools to add handwritten text and artwork.
- Sophisticated editing tools like curve, clone, and distort.
- A collage maker to combine multiple photos creatively.
- Remix chat for editing pictures with others.
- Community with 100 million monthly active users.
4. Photoshop Express
Photoshop Express from Adobe packs the power of Photoshop into a handy mobile ap, which puts enormously powerful editing tools in your pocket that were previously reserved for desktop software. Hardcore photographers who need advanced editing on mobile will love Express. For basic corrections, though, Lightroom is easier to use.
Features of PhotoShop Express
- Apply filters and auto adjustments with one tap.
- Precision editing tools like exposure, shadows, warmth, etc.
- Noise removal, cropping, and perspective tools.
- Photoshop-grade selection, masking, and blending.
- Non-destructive adjustments and filter layers.
- Syncs across devices via Creative Cloud.
Pixelmator is a versatile mobile photo editor packed with ML smarts. This app uses ML cleverly across features like automatic enhancements. It is an excellent choice for those looking to spruce up photos with intelligent edits quickly. Repair tools like ML Clear and ML Denoise work magic to fix issues quickly. This app is available for iPhone users on Apple Store.
Features of Pixelmator
Here are some of its capabilities:
- ML Enhance to improve photos automatically.
- ML Crop for intelligently cropping portraits.
- Sophisticated repair tools using ML magic.
- Gorgeous filters like Portrait, Landscape, and B&W.
- Brushes for applying edits locally.
- iCloud sync across iOS and iPadOS devices.
Polarr aims to provide sophisticated editing in a lightweight package and it offers an agile editing workflow centered around workspaces. The facial retouching powered by machine learning is high quality. Polarr is excellent for developing consistent style and color treatments across photo collections.
Features of Polarr
Here are its key aspects:
- Streamlined editor with essential color, lighting, and geometry tools.
- Intuitive structure based on three workspaces – Edit, Create, and Batch.
- Photo filters in styles ranging from vintage to cinematic.
- Facial retouch tools powered by AI.
- Syncing across devices using cloud storage services.
Prisma stands out with its heavy use of AI to apply artistic styles and transforms. It can turn photos into paintings, drawings, and graphic art within seconds purely through AI techniques. If you want to experiment with radically transforming photos in art styles, Prisma is unmatched. The additional collage and text features also help add creative flair. Here are its capabilities:
- 100+ styles based on art movements like cubism, pop art, graffiti, etc.
- Models trained on thousands of unique art pieces.
- Photo filters inspired by movies and shows.
- Add stylized text captions to photos.
- Create photo collages.
- Community feed to share and discover images.
TouchRetouch is an efficient app explicitly focused on removing unwanted elements from photos. The way TouchRetouch seamlessly lets you clone out objects and fix flaws using intelligent tools is unmatched. It is perfect when you need to retouch portraits or restore distractions in photos quickly.
Features of TouchRetouch
Here are its capabilities:
- Remove blemishes, pimples, and dust spots using pimple and line removal tools.
- Erase individual objects and people using the object removal tool.
- Fix distorted perspective using the geometric transformation tool.
- Subtle photo enhancement features like color correction, contrast, and tone.
- Before and after comparison to check changes.
SKRWT (pronounced “skrwt”) provides advanced perspective correction tools for architectural and real estate photography. This app makes a particular task – structural perspective correction – straightforward through intuitive gestures. It is a must-have app for professional photographers shooting buildings, interiors, and products.
Features of SKRWT
Here are its key features:
- Intuitive gesture-based skew, shift, and rotation tools.
- Perspective correction for buildings, landmarks, and interiors.
- Optimize verticals and horizontals to make structures look straight.
- Visually compare changes side-by-side before saving edits.
- Share before and after photos.
- Ideal for real estate, architecture, and product photography.
10. Enlight Pixaloop
Enlight Pixaloop lets you add moving elements to your photos to turn them into animated images. Turn scenic vistas into moving cinematographs or create eye-catching animated interactions using Pixaloop. The artistic animated effects make your photos stand out on social media.
Features of Enlight Pixaloop
Here are its key capabilities:
- Animate specific parts of the photo using easy drawing tools.
- Make objects look like they are blowing, shaking, spinning, etc.
- Add parallax effect to simulate 3D interactions.
- Create double-exposure animations by blending two photos.
- Export as video or GIF with a transparent background.
- Share animated pictures on social media.
It covers our pick of the top 10 photo editor apps for iPhone and Android in 2023. Apps like Lightroom, Snapseed, and Photoshop Express are great for serious photo editing. Creative apps like PicsArt and Prisma allow you to transform photos with stylish effects. Specialized tools like TouchRetouch and SKRWT excel at object removal and perspective correction tasks. Try a few that catch your eye to find the best photo editor suited for your use case.
Frequently Asked Questions about Photo Editor Apps
Here are some common questions about photo editor apps answered:
Which is the best free photo editor app?
Snapseed is the best free photo editor app with powerful tools and an intuitive editing experience. Other free options include Adobe Lightroom (with storage limits) and Pixlr.
What photo editor apps do professionals use?
Professionals most commonly use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop Express for mobile photo editing. Some also use apps like Snapseed and Pixelmator in addition to desktop tools like Photoshop.
Can I use photo editor apps to edit RAW files?
Apps like Lightroom and Snapseed can edit RAW .dng files from DSLR cameras. However, mobile apps have limited editing capabilities compared to desktop RAW processors.
Are all changes made in photo editor apps destructive?
Not all. Apps like Lightroom, Snapseed, and Pixelmator use non-destructive editing so that you can revisit adjustments later. But some edits, like filter effects, are destructive.
How can I learn to use photo editor apps?
Most apps include in-app tutorials or tips. Snapseed has excellent getting-started guides. Adobe apps link to complete online courses. YouTube videos are another great way to learn mobile photo editing.
The smartphone camera has enabled more people than ever before to pursue photography. Photo editor apps allow you to go beyond just capturing images to crafting them.
The above apps represent the best solutions for key mobile photo editing needs. Whether you want sophisticated edits like Lightroom or artistic effects using Prisma, excellent app options are available. Using these tools effectively can take your photography to the next level.