If you are a frequent web browser, you may have noticed that the horizontal tabs at the top of your browser window can quickly become cluttered and hard to manage. You may have also wished for a way to organize your tabs in a more efficient and intuitive way. Well, Microsoft Edge has a feature that can help you with that: vertical tabs. You can try the Microsoft edge vertical tabs features for better productivity.
Vertical tabs are a new way of displaying your open tabs in Microsoft Edge. Instead of showing them horizontally at the top, they are shown vertically on the left side of your browser window. This gives you more space to see the titles and icons of your tabs, and makes it easier to switch between them. You can also collapse the vertical tab panel to save even more space, and expand it when you need it.
- Microsoft Edge vs Chrome: 8 Comprehensive Comparisons for you
- 18 Best Microsoft Edge hidden features for a Great browing experience
In this blog post, we will show you how to enable and use vertical tabs in Microsoft Edge, and how they can improve your browsing experience.
What are vertical tabs in edge browser?
Vertical Tabs in the Edge browser is a feature that allows users to view and manage their open tabs in a vertical sidebar, as an alternative to the traditional horizontal tab bar. With Vertical Tabs enabled, the tabs are displayed in a vertical layout on the left side of the browser window, providing a more streamlined and space-efficient way to navigate between multiple tabs.
By clicking on the Vertical Tabs icon, represented by a vertical bar, users can toggle the display of the vertical sidebar. This sidebar shows the titles of all the open tabs in a list format, allowing users to easily scroll through and locate specific tabs. Users can also drag and drop tabs within the vertical sidebar to rearrange their order.
How to enable vertical tabs in Microsoft Edge
To enable vertical tabs in Microsoft Edge, you need to have the latest version of the browser installed on your device. You can check for updates by going to Settings > About Microsoft Edge. If there is an update available, you will see a button to download and install it.
Settings > Appearance > Customize toolbar > Show vertical tabs for all current browser windows > Turn on
Once you have the latest version of Microsoft Edge, you can enable vertical tabs by following these steps:
1. Open Microsoft Edge and click on the three horizontal dots icon at the top right corner of your browser window. From the menu that appears, select Settings.
2. On the Settings page, click on Appearance on the left sidebar. Under the Customize toolbar, you will see an option called Show vertical tabs button. Toggle it on.
3. You will now see a new icon next to the horizontal tabs at the top of your browser window. This is the vertical tab button.
How to use vertical tabs in Microsoft Edge
To use vertical tabs in Microsoft Edge, you need to click on the vertical tabs button that you enabled in the previous section. This will open a panel on the left side of your browser window, where you will see all your open tabs displayed vertically.
You can use vertical tabs in Microsoft Edge in the following ways:
- To switch between tabs, simply click on the tab that you want to view.
- To rearrange tabs, drag and drop them in the order that you prefer.
- To close a tab, hover over it and click on the X icon that appears.
- To open a new tab, click on the plus icon at the bottom of the panel.
- To collapse or expand the panel, click on the arrow icon at the top of the panel.
- To pin a tab, right-click on it and select Pin tab from the menu that appears. Pinned tabs will stay at the top of the panel and will not be closed when you close other tabs.
- To mute a tab, right-click on it and select Mute tab from the menu that appears. Muted tabs will not play any sound from their websites.
- To group tabs, right-click on a tab and select Add tab to new group from the menu that appears. You can then name your group and assign it a color. You can also drag and drop tabs into existing groups or out of them.
How Microsoft Edge Vertical Tabs can improve your browsing experience
Vertical tabs can improve your browsing experience in Microsoft Edge in several ways:
- They give you more space to see the titles and icons of your tabs, which can help you find what you are looking for faster.
- They make it easier to manage multiple tabs, as you can rearrange, close, pin, mute, or group them with simple gestures.
- They allow you to collapse or expand the panel as needed, which can help you focus on your current tab or access other tabs quickly.
- They are customizable, as you can choose whether to show or hide the vertical tabs button, and whether to always show or hide the panel.
Some other features of Microsoft Edge
Vertical tabs are not the only feature that can enhance your web browsing experience in Microsoft Edge. Here are some other features that you may want to try out:
Collections allow you to save web pages, images, text, and other content from different websites into organized folders. You can access your collections by clicking on the Collections icon next to the vertical tabs button. You can also add notes, export your collections to Word or Excel, or share them with others.
2. Immersive Reader
Immersive Reader is a feature that helps you read web pages more comfortably and easily. It removes distractions such as ads and navigation bars from web pages, and lets you adjust the text size, font, background color, and line spacing. It also has features such as Read Aloud, which reads the text aloud for you; Grammar Tools, which highlight parts of speech and syllables; and Translation, which translates the text into different languages. You can access Immersive Reader by clicking on the Immersive Reader icon in the address bar of a web page that supports it.
3. Web Capture
Web Capture is a feature that lets you capture and annotate web pages. You can use it to take screenshots of web pages, crop them, draw on them, or add text. You can also share your captures with others, or save them to your device or OneDrive. You can access Web Capture by clicking on the Web Capture icon next to the Collections icon.
4. Sleeping Tabs
Sleeping Tabs is a feature that helps you save system resources and battery life by putting inactive tabs to sleep. This reduces the CPU and memory usage of those tabs, and improves the performance of your browser and device. You can enable Sleeping Tabs by going to Settings > System > Save Resources. You can also customize how long a tab has to be inactive before it goes to sleep, and which sites you want to exclude from sleeping.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are Vertical Tabs in Microsoft Edge?
Vertical Tabs is a feature in Microsoft Edge that allows users to display their open tabs in a vertical sidebar instead of the traditional horizontal tab bar. It provides a more organized and space-efficient way to manage and navigate between multiple open tabs.
How do I enable Vertical Tabs in Microsoft Edge?
To enable Vertical Tabs in Microsoft Edge, follow these steps:
– Open Microsoft Edge and click on the “Vertical Tabs” icon (represented by a vertical bar) located on the left side of the tab bar.
– The vertical sidebar will appear, displaying your open tabs in a list format.
What are the benefits of using Vertical Tabs in Microsoft Edge?
Using Vertical Tabs in Microsoft Edge offers several benefits:
– Efficient use of screen space: Vertical Tabs save horizontal space, allowing more room for content.
– Improved tab management: Vertical Tabs provide a cleaner, more organized way to view and switch between open tabs.
– Easy navigation: With Vertical Tabs, you can quickly scroll through and locate tabs using their titles, making navigation more convenient.
Can I customize the appearance of Vertical Tabs in Microsoft Edge?
Yes, you can customize the appearance of Vertical Tabs in Microsoft Edge. To do this, follow these steps:
– Click on the “Settings and More” (three-dot) icon in the top-right corner of Microsoft Edge.
– Go to “Appearance” in the menu and select “Vertical Tab Layout.”
– From there, you can choose to show icons only or show icons and titles for your tabs.
Can I switch back to the traditional horizontal tab bar in Microsoft Edge?
If you prefer the traditional horizontal tab bar, you can switch back to it in Microsoft Edge. To do this, follow these steps:
– Click on the “Vertical Tabs” icon on the left side of the tab bar to hide the vertical sidebar.
– The horizontal tab bar will reappear, displaying your open tabs as usual.
Vertical tabs are a useful feature in Microsoft Edge that can help you browse the web more efficiently and comfortably. They let you see more of your open tabs, switch between them easily, and organize them in various ways. You can enable them by going to Settings > Appearance > Show vertical tabs button, and you can use them by clicking on the vertical tabs button next to your horizontal tabs.
You can explore more features of Microsoft Edge here.
We hope this blog post has helped you learn how to enable and use vertical tabs in Microsoft Edge, and how they can improve your browsing experience. If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know in the comments below.